Mari talks about the various types of media she prefers to use and why.
Ron: Hi, I’m Ron from Hawaii. I’m here with Mari from Japan. Today we’re going to be talking about entertainment, and how often we do these things. So Mari, how often do you watch TV?
Mari: I watch the news in the morning and when I come home at night I sometimes watch TV.
Ron: Do you have a favorite TV show?
Mari: I don’t have a favorite TV show.
Ron: OK. How often do you go to the movies?
Mari: I really like going to the movies. I think I go maybe once a month or maybe once every two months.
Ron: And other than that do you rent movies?
Mari: No, I don’t rent movies but sometimes I download movies. I like to watch comedies – romantic comedies – and a little bit of drama.
Ron: What is your favorite movie you’ve watch recently?
Mari: My favorite movie… I don’t know if it was my favorite movie, but a movie that I watched recently is called “27 Dresses”. It is about a girl, or a woman, who is a bridesmaid twenty-seven times.
Ron: And that’s a romantic comedy?
Mari: It is.
Ron: Interesting. What about reading? Do you like to read books?
Mari: I do like to read books. Right now, I’m really busy with work so I don’t have a lot of time to read but when I’m on vacation or whenever I have free time, I like to read books.
Ron: What kind of books?
Mari: I like to read non-fiction usually. Biographies of people, and I also like to read about like teaching practices so that I can become a better teacher and a little bit of fiction.
Ron: And what about concerts? Do you enjoy going to concerts?
Mari: I don’t go to music concerts. I don’t think I’ve ever been to one actually but I like to go see musicals and I also like to go to sporting events.
Ron: Nice talking with you Mari.
I like to watch comedies – romantic comedies. A romantic comedy is a funny movie about love and relationships. Notice the following:
- Romanitc comedies are popular around Valentine’s Day.
- I hate romantic comedies. They always have the same ending.
A movie that I watched recently is called “27 Dresses”. We use recently to talk about the near past; maybe a week or a month ago. Notice the following:
- He recently gave up smoking so he is very moody.
- I have not seen Joe recently. Is he sick?
It is about a woman who is a bridesmaid. Before a woman gets married she chooses a bridesmaid, usually her best friend, to help her during the marriage ceremony. Notice the following:
- All the sisters will be bridesmaids at the wedding.
- The bridesmaid is suppposed to pay for her own dress, even though the bride chooses it for her.
I like to read non-fiction usually. Non-fiction is a true story that really happened. Notice the following:
- I stopped reading fiction in college. I just read non-fiction, mainly business books now.
- I like reading non-fiction because the topics are real.
I like to read biographies of people. Biographies are books about the lives of interesting or famous people. Notice the following:
- I just read a great biography of Elvis Presley.
- The biography showed a different image of the him than he was portrayed in real life.
Download audio file
この教材の音声ファイルはこちらからダウンロードできます。（Download audio file）