George and Crystal discuss job options for college students.
George: Where are you working these days?
Crystal: I’m working at the restaurant around the station.
George: What’s it like working in a restaurant?
Crystal: Well, it’s … busy times are busy, but boring sometimes. It’s just usual work: washing dishes, serving and then that it’s pretty much. Not a big deal job. I really like it, but at the same time I’m looking for more. I think I should look for a desk job or something.
George: Oh, a desk job!
Crystal: What about you?
George: I don’t know. Maybe I could work at a … maybe a clothing store.
Crystal: Oh, really!
George: I do enjoy fashion, and I need to update my wardrobe, so a little discount would be nice.
Crystal: I hear that there’s a opening at Bloomingdale’s.
George: Oh, awesome!
Crystal: You should give it a try.
George: Maybe. But then again I’m not a very … I’m not really a people person, though.
Crystal: A people person! What do you mean?
George: I can’t just go up to new people and start talking to them. It’s a little difficult for me.
Crystal: Well, on my point of view, I think that’s a little … sometimes I think that’s sort of a little annoying. One time like this lady at the market, she just started talking me, “Oh, this looks good on you!” OK, I don’t need that. You know.
George: Yes, they use some very strong mind tricks to get you to buy things.
Crystal: Yeah. Well, you’re good with mind tricks aren’t you?
George: I’m good at being played by mind tricks, but now good at doing mind tricks.
Crystal: Aye! Well, I guess you still have nine months left.
George: Yeah, it’s a little depressing though.
not a big deal
It is not a big deal.
When something is ‘not a big deal’, it is not special or important. Notice the following.
- My best friend works weekends at 7-11. It’s not a big deal job, but the pay is OK.
- For me, my birthday is just not a big deal.
a desk job
Oh, a desk job.
‘A desk job’ is in an office where we usually sit in front of a computer all day. Here are two samples.
- I could never have a desk job. I prefer to be active and work outdoors.
- My dad has a boring desk job, but he enjoys his work.
update my wardrobe
I need to update my wardrob.
We ‘update our wardrobe’ when we buy new clothes. Notice the samples.
- I’d love to update my wardrobe, but I’m totally broke.
- My girlfriend updates her wardrobe at least twice a year.
a people person
I’m not really a people person.
‘A people person’ is someone who likes to meet new people. They are usually talkative and out-going. Here are some samples.
- I’m not a people person. I prefer to work alone.
- Nadia works in phone sales. She’s a real people person.
He plays strong mind tricks.
Here, ‘mind tricks’ are the words sales people use to get you to buy things. The phrase is most often negative. Notice the sample sentences.
- No amount of mind tricks could get me to buy that car.
- I never use mind tricks to sell to my customers.
being played by mind tricks When we are ‘being played’, that means we are being lied to or deceived. Notice the following.
- He spoke to the stranger for about a minute before he realized he was being played.
- When buying jewelry, be careful not to be played.
people person • mind tricks • being played